You are here
Home > Health > Foreign body ingestion may endanger your pets

Foreign body ingestion may endanger your pets

Pets have a habit that the majority of us cannot seem to get our pets to shake. Cats and dogs will ingest just about anything they can sniff out.

The ingestion of foreign bodies can not only pose a danger to your pets; there are multiple numbers of ways these things can be fatal to your pet.

Today we are going to be looking at what happens if your dog swallows a foreign object, how would you know? And what you should do.

What Dangers are Laying Around?

Cats, dogs and pretty much all pets don’t have a sense when it comes to danger. To pets, if something looks fun, it’s probably food. Among some of the most popular ingestion choices are:

  • String – Wool, string, gift wrap are appealing to all pets, but especially cats. Taking care to keep things like this away is vital. They can cause active obstructions.
  • Toys – If a small toy can fit into the mouth of your pet, it could potentially spell out distasted.
  • Bones – Several types of bone can be dangerous to your pets. These bones can splinter and become lodged in pets throat.
  • Clothes – Unbelievably, pets love to chew and swallow socks. Keeps socks at bay is a great way to ensure safety for your furry friend.
  • Jewellery – Earrings and necklaces pose an extreme risk to cats and dogs if swallowed. The backs of earring and clasps of the necklace can, in some instances, piece the gastro tract.

How To Know If They Have Swallowed Something

Dogs and cats are little adventurers and knowing where they are at all times are impossible. Knowing what to look out for if your cat or dog has ingested a foreign body can be of the highest importance. Here are a few things to keep an eye out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Drooling
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Gagging
  • Choking
  • Licking the lips and nose repeatedly
  • Distended abdomen
  • Inability to defecate.

If you suspect your pet is ill, you should always visit a professional as soon as possible. Ingestion of a foreign object that displays any of the above signs should be treated as urgent. 

Prevention is Key

To avoid the ingestion of any foreign object, there are a few things you can do. The first thing is to provide your pet with a sufficient diet. The more satisfied your dog is with what is in its tummy, the less likely it is to eat everything it finds. Dog food bundles are a great way of varying your dog’s diet and ensuring he’s getting a vast range of flavour.

Environment management is also incredibly important. Taking extra care to keep an eye around as carefully as possible and removing any potential hazards before they wind up in your pet’s tummy.

Supervision of pets around new toys and keeping them away from anything dangerous is one of the best ways of ensuring your pet is kept safe and happy.

Leave a Reply

Top